PagesPat's Ponderings

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mixed Media Just Because card


My crafting has mood swings.  Sometimes I'll enter a CAS period where less is better, and clean lines and white spaces are beautiful.
Then there are my periods when I use up a certain embellishment, like lace, or flowers, or buttons.  And let's not forget color obsession.  I was on a Teal kick for weeks!
Well, today I was inspired by Jean Blenkhorn's artwork, and tried my hand at a multimedia card.  It's 5x7, because if I'm going to throw on all the elements that move me, my card has to have room for them!
I started with a Queen Kat Designs stamped image called  Porcelain Mermaid by Terra Bidlespacher.  I colored her before even looking for a theme or patterned paper to use.  I just wanted my muse to take me wherever it wanted.
Once she was colored with my copics, I found a piece of amazing seashell patterned paper.  I built on this base, weaving raffia to look like a net, adding tiny seashells and ocean-themed buttons.  I ink-distressed the image, the sentiment and the card base with both Distress Inks and chalks.
I found a Tim Holtz embellishment--a tiny corked bottle, and cut and rolled some printed paper to stuff inside it.  The bow is tied brown netting, and the seagull perched on the sentiment?  Another ocean-themed button.
I'm not used to throwing everything but the kitchen sink on a card, but the embellishments called to me.  Who knows?  From this project I might start using paint and mod podge and all sorts of items.  Or I might go back to simple, pretty, whimsical, clean.
Wherever I go, it will be to follow where my muse leads.
Where does your muse lead you?  If it takes you to the beach, then Terra's Porcelain Mermaid is a great starting point.  You can find her and her salty friends HERE.

1 comment:

Holly Young said...

oh my gosh, I love what you did with the rafia! How incredible. Plus all of the little seashore embellishments are darling! Lovely coloring!