PagesPat's Ponderings

Thursday, June 13, 2013

It's Time to Celebrate - Congratulations to my College-bound Daughter

This month my baby girl was graduated from high school.  We moved into the area when she was 1 month old, unlike my son who was born in Missouri, went to preschool in Dupage County, Illinois, stayed through 3rd grade in Lake County, and finished off his remaining school years in Cook County.

We had a grad party for her, of course, and I made the invitations, but they went out before I could take a photo of them!  However, I did manage to snap a pic of the thank you cards I made for her.  She has them in a pile and while we watch another episode of Fringe off of Netflix, she's writing them out and addressing the envelopes.

I'm so proud of her!  Her class went through some horrific experiences during the four years they were together--from the deaths of classmates through suicide, hit-and-run, and cancer, to the firing of sports coaches for allowing hazing to go on, to their successful attempts to keep extracurricular activities from disappearing for lack of funds.

During those four years, they raised over $100,000 for cancer research and St. Jude's hospital.  During graduation, over 162 scholarships were given out--and one of the recipients was my daughter!!

We're going together to the college to register her for classes and get a feel for the campus on Tuesday.  So while I wistfully look back on her toddler years, the many Girl Scout camping trips taken together, and her journey to adulthood, I can't help but become excited for her--all those opportunities to grow and learn and love and live that will become available to her!  As Dr. Seuss so aptly put it, "Oh, the places you'll go..."

No comments: